Sunday, August 7, 2011

Misty, sultry August mornings are among my favorite..today I was out early to check on the progress of drying my first garlic crop laid out on the screen porch. First thought..smells just like a NY pizza parlor! Deep inhale. All spring and summer I waited impatient for the brown stalks to tip- toe upward signaling harvest ready bulbs. Buried and tucked away under layered straw, tiny crescent shoots slept thru frosty nights and hibernated beneath many layered quilts of snow. I'll save a few purple blush bulbs to plant come November. I became distracted, however, by several bees intent on the opening blooms of a Rose of Sharon bush. Bumble bees drunk and gilded with dusty pollen, wings and bodies drenched in yellow- white dust. Working in the moment as if in rapture, not about to waste one grain for the hive, they remained until all was complete.
sending peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment